Friday, September 19, 2008

First Trip to the Zoo

Todd's mom came down Wednesday. His dad went on his annual fishing trip to Canada. Gabe and I have been sick for the last week or so, but are doing better. Gabe has had a cold and is working on teeth. I have had sinus junk. I think we are both on the road to recovery.

Gabe and Grandma have been having a lot of fun the last couple of days. They have gone outside for walks, played with numerous toys and read countless books. I think grandma is enjoying her time with the cute little guy.

We have been wanting to take Gabe to the zoo, but we wanted to wait until he would really be able to enjoy it. We knew that he wouldn't know all the animals, but would enjoy some of them. For those that haven't been to our zoo, we have a really good one. Gabe slept in this morning, so we got a little later start than we thought we would. We didn't really have a time in mind, but we know we wanted to get him home in time to get a good nap. The first place we went was the aquarium. He was absolutely fascinated with the penguins and the fish. He had this look of wonder his face, and his eyes were huge and shining. I will admit I cried while I watched him. It was so fun to see him having fun and enjoying it so much. It just makes me teary when we can do something to put that smile on his face. We also saw the monkeys, which he didn't pay too much attention to. We saw the tigers and lions. We liked those a lot. There are a couple of tigers on the outside before you get to the ones inside. He would point to it and say "kitty". All the way to the doors leading in he said, "kitty, kitty, kitty!!!" He was excited. When we got to the lions, the big male lion was laying right up next to the glass. The first time he saw it, he growled. He knew exactly what it was. We also saw the bears, but by that time he had about had enough. We were there about an hour and a half. Before we left, we stopped at the gift shop to get him something for his first trip to the zoo. We found these long monkeys that had velcro on their feet, so they could be hung on something. I gave him one, and he hugged it to him. We gave him the 2nd and the 3rd, and he hugged them and tucked them all in close. He left the zoo with 3 monkeys. : ) Between grandma, mom and dad we bought them all. He had a good time, and we had a great time watching him. Todd and I decided that until his a little older and will enjoy the animals even more, we will take him to the aquarium and then leave. Todd said it would be easy enough for him to take a morning off work to go with us, and then have the afternoon for work. We plan to make many more trips with him. He was so cute. He kept pointing at fish or animals and then jabbering like he was telling us all about what he was seeing. Oh, the joy of rediscovering things through your child's eyes.

We stopped at the grocery store for some deli meat before we headed home. After we got home, all of us took naps except for grandma.

This evening we went out for supper. After supper, we stopped at Hobby Lobby. I ran in just long enough to get the things I needed. I am organizing all my cross stitch floss. They things I use for that were on sale. They had one of 2 things I needed. We also stopped at OfficeMax. I needed 3 ring binders for this project. I got one a while ago, but it isn't going to work. I need the kind that has the slanted rings. I also wanted binders that would zip all the way around the outside to protect the floss and not allow dust in the binder when I wasn't using it. I didn't look at those binders because I knew they would be too expensive. I found some tonight that are exactly what I wanted and needed for $8. The regular just everyday binders were $9.79-$15. These that I found were originally $16. I was very excited. I got 3 of them just in case I needed them. I may or may not need that many, but I didn't want to find out that I did need another and then not be able to find that binder or have to pay full price for it.

When we got home tonight, we saw that the message light was blinking on the answering machine. I checked it but it was a hang up. I check Caller ID and found out it came from Todd's mom and dad's house. Yvonne called home knowing that it was Don that had called. We were all a little surprised, because he wasn't planning to be home until Monday. They were have a cold front in Canada, which caused the fish to stop biting. Since the fish weren't cooperating, the fishermen came home early.

Well that does it for the night.

No comments: