Thursday, September 27, 2007

A Wee Bit Behind

Usually when I get behind I make notes or start the post with shorts lines of things to write so I can get caught up. Unfortunately this time I didn't do that. It has been busy, and I just haven't gotten posts done. This will be a giant (0r not so giant) post to get caught up on the last couple of weeks. I'm not even going to try to put things in order or date sequence. So here it goes..... As my last post states, I am back to school. This time as the teacher, rather than the student. It has proven to be much more of a challenge than I originally anticipated. I am in the 3rd week and am finding a little bit of a groove, but still have a very long ways to go. Each student is different, has different learning styles (I am still figuring out how they each learn the best) and different learning levels. Things are a bit bumpy but will get better with time. This is something I have never done before, so it will take time getting used to.

Gabe has been in the daycare the mornings I am teaching (Monday, Thursday & Friday). That has been new for both of us. It is hard leaving him for those few hours, but I know he is in good hands. He is adjusting okay I think. The first week he did really well. The second week he was with Grandma Carlson, and this week he is in daycare again. This week has seemed to be a little bit more difficult for him. Heidie said he was a little off on Monday.

He is doing wonderful. He has been trying more new foods. Of course, he just eats them without any reaction at all. He is doing great with his sippy cup. He doesn't hold it and drink from it yet, but he will get there. He is drinking 2-3 ounces a day. He will hold it and try to drink from it, but usually has it turned the wrong way. He is trying and will get it before too long.

He is actually taking naps. He usually takes a 1/2 hour nap in the morning, unless he slept a little late. In the afternoons, he is taking anywhere from an hour and a half to 3 hour naps. A 2 hour nap is average. This week he has had a couple 3 hour naps. I don't think he took 3 hour naps when he was really little. This may be the first time in his life he has taken that long of a nap. He will take a little 1/2 hour nap in the evening depending on how late in the afternoon he slept.
He has been working on getting some new teeth. He got the 2 bottom ones a couple days after his 5 month birthday and hasn't gotten any since then. The last couple of weeks (maybe longer) he has been working on the top ones. I know he has 1 for sure coming in and maybe more. He has had a yucky nose and diapers, so I knew it was coming. Even though the doctors tell us that goopy noses, messy pants, fever, etc don't go with cutting teeth. I still can't figure out how they can deny all of that. I strongly disagree. Anyway......we won't go into my opinion of doctors.

He isn't crawling yet. He gets where he wants to go on his bottom. He can scooch from here to there on his bottom in pretty good time. He may just decide to skip the crawling and go straight to the walking. *Eeeeeeck* : ) He will get around on his tummy pretty good, just not by crawling. He tries to pull up to things. Most things he can't get a good enough grip on yet to get pulled up. If I sit him in his crib, so I can wash my hands, do hair or make-up, he will get a hold of the sides and get pulled up on his knees. He is definitely more mobile.

He turned 8 months old this month. Where has the time gone? As I type this, he is almost 8 1/2 months. Here are a couple of the pictures I took on the 15th. Normally the blurry one would bug me (I don't like blurry pictures), but this one is pure Gabe. Perpetual motion. It was hard getting his month old pictures this time, since he is getting more and more active (although he has always been very active). This time Todd was sitting on the couch behind me, and Gabe kept leaning over to try to see daddy. Todd had to stand up directly behind me so he would stop leaning and peeking. He is really into peeking around things to see people or something that he thinks he is missing. At night when I start to walk down the hall to put him in bed, he will lean from side to side trying to see Todd. It is pretty cute.

We got him his stash of fall/winter clothes. I think we have enough to get him through the winter. We made 2 trips to Target and a trip to Kohl's. We got him some pretty cute stuff. We got pajamas, sweats, jeans, shirts and outfits. He should be set. We are in that time of year that is hard to know how to dress. In the morning it is chilly but by afternoon it is warm. Welcome to Midwest weather.

Gabe has started the mommy phase. Even at home, if I leave the room for a second, he starts to cry. It is so hard to leave him at daycare or the nursery and hear him crying as I am leaving. Everything in me says to go back give him a huge hug, wipe the tears away and hold him tight. But I know that doesn't do either one of us any good. I know he needs to learn to be without me for a while and that he will be fine. I just don't like hearing him cry that heartbroken cry. It tears my heart out. This is also translating into bedtime. I will lay him down, he will be fine, until I start to walk toward the door, and then the floodgates open. That cry of "Mom, don't leave me." Ack, I don't like that. I know it is a phase, and I need to help him through it not prolong it.

Todd mom came down September 14-23. Don was making his annual trek to Canada, so Grandma decided to come this way. I can't imagine why! : ) She has come down the last few years while Don had been in Canada. This year had a little something special to keep her busy during her trip. We didn't do much. Made a shopping trip and went for Chinese. We did make a trip to Sam's to get pictures printed, so Grandma would have some new ones to take home. We got a few made for Grandma Young and Scott, Jo and the kids. Other than that we mostly stayed home and played with Gabe. Her and Todd got a coat of water seal on the deck. Other than that not much. She did have a couple times that the pickup wouldn't start. The first time was just it's little quirk. The second time Todd had to jump it. That time was Sunday morning when she was getting ready to go home. They got it started, and she made it home safe and sound.

Mom and dad went to St. Charles this last Sunday for my aunt and uncle's (mom's brother and sister-in-law) 50th wedding anniversary. The party was Sunday afternoon. Mom and dad stayed over night and got home Monday evening.

We had couple Husker games since the last post. We lost one to USC and won (but almost lost) one against Ball State (where is Ball State?). Enough said about the games. I don't think I am ready to talk about them yet. It's still a little painful to think about. : (

It seems there is more to catch up on, but I am drawing a blank. Sorry this got so long. I will try to keep up better from now on. If I think of other things, I will add them to other posts later. I think I hit the major things anyway. You are officially caught up on our little corner of the world.

No comments: